1. Listen carefully as your partner reads his or her paper aloud to you.
2. Check for a clear thesis (normally in the first paragraph).
3. Check for ample support of main points (examples from texts, slides, films, etc.).
4. Check grammar look especially for fused sentences and incomplete sentences.
5. Are there parts of the essay that sound or look like email (i. e. inappropriate abbreviations, shorthand or informalities, missing punctuation, etc.)?
6. Consider points of style: Is the paper engaging? Does it draw you in? Does the paper utilize irony? Does the paper contain interesting metaphors and other kinds of imagery?
8. Does the paper have an engaging title?